Canon PowerShot SX520 16Digital Camera with 42x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch LCD (Black)
- 42x Optical Zoom (24-1008mm) and 24mm Wide-Angle lens
- 16.0 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the Canon DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video with a dedicated movie button and zoom while shooting
- Zoom Framing Assist makes it easy to track and capture subjects while using the extreme telephoto
- High Speed AF greatly helps improve focus speed
With the Canon Power Shot SX520 HS digital camera you can capture beautiful scenic panoramas, elusive wildlife, an athlete’s intensity, or a child’s wonder – all from a distance that won’t interrupt the action. The SX520 HS makes this kind of versatility easy with an incredible 42x optical zoom and 24mm wide-angle lens. This camera was born to zoom, with features and systems designed to make high-magnification shooting with advanced Canon optics simple and spectacular. The Optical Image Stabilizer and Intelligent IS keep images clear and steady while Zoom Framing Assist and a new Advanced Zoom Framing Assist function help you track and capture subjects, follow their movement and keep them in focus – whether you’re shooting stills or super-lifelike 1080p full HD video. And High Speed AF means reduced lag time. Use this sophisticated point-and-shoot wherever you go to capture memories with the quality and versatility they deserve.
List Price: $ 329.00
Price: [wpramaprice asin=”B00M0QVTOS”]
Wonderful entry level or upgrade from point-and-click.,
Here’s the deal. I’m not going to waste [too much] of your time spitting the specs back to you in a review. You have already looked at them. If you are here, it is because you don’t want to spend 3000 USD on a high-end professional box and thousands more on lenses; but, you want something better than a basic point-in-shoot. Yes? If so, please continue.
Although there is NOTHING wrong with Nikon, I prefer Canon and have a 5D Mark III at work at a pair of XF 300’s for video. They are amazing. No doubt. That said, the cost is overkill for personal/amateur use. Take the plunge in the Canon Family. The feel of this model is similar to the T2i/T3i. It has enough features to learn and grow with and not break the bank or cause you to purchase additional gear.
Cons: No shoe, USB 2.0 – not sure why they didn’t go 3.0
That said, if you want to buy various lenses, stop here and search for deals on the T3i. Still here? This is a very nice entry into photography:
24mm wide and 42x Optical Zoom. I recommend never using an optical zoom to the edge of capability. You will have data loss (blur, shallow detail).
1080p HD. This is nice as you can take high quality video. This has become more prevalent over the last 5 years and Canon’s CMOS can capture high-impact, detailed video. You will have to look elsewhere for audio capture as you will need external to get clean audio for any [higher end] editing needs.
16.0 MP is robust enough for you to capture high-detail, print-quality pictures worthy of framing
3.0 inch LCD is plenty big to see what you are framing. You may want to look at a screen hood (few dollars) if you are shooting in high-sun.
You will want to get some memory cards to capture all your needs. This model takes SD/SDHC/SDXC. Transcend SD Class 10 for video needs (16-32GB) and SD Class 4 for photo needs should get you started without headache.
In any event, I truly hope you deep-dive into this product. For the price point, the quality and capabilities are wonderful! Enjoy!!
Was this review helpful to you?
Good camera for the cost,
• Physical lens caps rather than the built in automatic cap of the smaller camera. This is my biggest issue, I hate having to take it on and off, that was something I did not miss when I sold my SLR. No built-in cap allow for more dirt to get to the lens if it takes you a minute to put it back on. For this reason alone I am knocking it down a star.
• Size – bulkier than I was expecting – there is no way to put this one in a pocket – it does fit in my purse.
• Feels like it is cheaply made – but it is actually very sturdy – I have thrown it in bags with no case and knocked it around construction sites and there is not a scratch on it
• Phenomenal photo quality
• Great optical zoom [Note: just turn off the digital, you will be much happier and can always make those extra zooms on the computer]
• Easily focus even when optical zoom is fully extended and it is low light and no flash conditions.
• Lightweight – I can easily handle it with one hand
• Very intuitive to use
• Fun features like creative shots or continuous shoot
• Long battery life – it is used almost daily with lots of on and off and review and the battery usually lasts at least 2 weeks for me
Other reviews mentioned that there was no manual included, mine was in the box. They also mentioned that it will not do several shots per second – this is incorrect, you just need to look at the manual.
Overall, I am going to keep this camera and know that it will work well when I want real pictures rather than pictures from my phone. A lot of camera for not a lot of price.
Was this review helpful to you?
Many things considered, this was a Great Buy!,
From the time I pulled it out of the box I could tell that it was build extremely well. The 42x Optical Zoom (24-1008mm) and 24mm Wide-Angle lens is incredible. For that same capability in a SLR you would pay a ton. I really became impressed one I started taking photos. Because of the size and versatility I find myself in more situations to take incredible shots, therefore this camera is quickly becoming my camera of choice when I go out. And for those that don’t understand the Zoom Framing Assist technology, this is a great feature. The frame assist really does make it easy to track your subject while using the extreme telephoto. If you have never used extreme telephoto without a tripod before, then you know what I mean (sSHaKyyy BuSiNeSsSs)!
Although I never considered shooting videos on my other cameras, I find that the 1080p full HD video on this camera has come in handy a few times while at a ball game. Oh, and you can take it in to professional ball games without being hassled. Did you know that some stadiums do not allow fans to bring professional grade SLR’s, or cameras with long telephoto lenses? They say that the right to use a professional camera in the stadiums is reserved for the sports press. Well with this camera, you don’t have that problem. You can take it into any stadium you want, and you will have the ability to zoom right in on the player’s faces and even people on the other side of the stadium.
For the money, you cannot get a better deal. In fact, I would have easily paid a hundred dollars more for this camera.
If my review was helpful to you in anyway, please click the “Yes” button below. Thanks, for Reading!
Was this review helpful to you?